Learning how to program CATIA macros helped save my career.
Hi, I’m Emmett Ross, author of VB Scripting for CATIA V5: How to program CATIA macros. I wrote this guide because when I was in a time of desperate need, not too long ago, learning how to write CATIA macros helped save my professional career. I was working as a CAD engineer but was just beginning to learn how to use CATIA. Everyone else at my company was much more experienced than I was, therefore I was expendable. When the economy took a turn for the worse, and coworkers began getting laid off, I feared for my job and my family’s future.
I needed a way to set myself apart to prove my value to the team. Learning how to write macros in CATIA gave me a huge advantage over my coworkers and helped to quickly earn my colleague’s respect, leading not only to me keeping the job but also to quicker promotions, along with more job freedom and flexibility. Not only did it help me bounce back from a low point but it opened my eyes to the world of automation and the opportunities that it can create for an engineer’s career. Scripting4v5.com and VB Scripting for CATIA V5 are my way of giving back for all of the fortunate things that have happened to me ever since.
If I can help just one person learn one thing that will help them in their career and/or life, the past several months I have spent writing all this material will have been totally worth it.
Who is Emmett Ross?
A little bit about the guy behind all of this:
- I have 15 years of experience with CAD systems.
- I’ve used almost every CAD system including SolidWorks, ProEngineer, SolidEdge, AutoCAD, CATIA, etc.
- Experience in automotive, aerospace, and entertainment industries.
- Experience with wide range of workbenches in CATIA V5 including GSD, kinematics, advanced machining, drafting, tolerancing, composites, and more.
- I created this website and published the first edition of my book, VB Scripting for CATIA V5, in 2012.
- I’m a father, husband, engineer, programmer, musician, hiker, thrill seeker, builder, creator, and designer (not necessarily in that order).
Want to become a CATIA macro programmer yourself?
If at any point while you’re reading this guide and you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Even if you don’t have any questions, I’d love for you to come by and say hello! If you want to reach me in private you can contact me here.
Please feel free to join my email course and get exclusive CATIA macro tips that you cannot find here on the website. You’ll get my ten best macros as well as other goodies like the seven CATIA macro programming tools I use almost everyday.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!