CATIA V5 Tools and Resources
Below is a list of CATIA V5 tools and resources I personally use (or have used) to help me with CATIA, programming, putting together my eBook, and creating my website. I highly recommend each and every one (and wouldn’t list it here if I didn’t). Some of these premium services do come with a price (just being honest here), but seriously I wouldn’t risk mentioning them here if I didn’t know they work great and will save a lot of people time and money.
CAD Forums – Where to Get Your CATIA Macro Questions Answered
- COE (CATIA Operators Exchange): Post your questions in the Develop and Deploy forum to get answers from knowledgeable and professional CATIA users.
- Eng Tips: Post your CATScript questions in the CATIA Products forum and get great feedback from CATIA power users.
- Stackoverflow: Use this site to ask questions when you get stuck and there are tons of knowledgeable programmers willing to help you out.
- Contact Me: I’ll do my best to respond to you in a timely matter but due to the number of emails I get daily I may or may not be able to.
Tools I Use Everyday
- 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse: Anyone doing 3D modeling, particularly in CATIA, really has to have one of these devices if their software supports it.
- Laser Pointer: Required in almost every engineering department meeting I’ve ever been too. Plus they make good cat toys too.
- Able2Extract: The best PDF conversion tool allows you to easily convert PDF files into Excel, PPT, Word Docs, and yes, even into AutoCAD files!
- Arbeit MF Homepage: CAD and programming services.
- CAD Systems Help:If you have questions about CATIA other than macros or want to learn more about other CAD systems them subscribe to this blog.
- CATIA V5: The official Dassault Systèmes website.
- CNC Hobby Router Plans: Let your computer cutout the parts you’ve drawn in CAD.
- 3D Boat Design: An easy to use CAD software package to help you design anything that floats.
- CAD2DESIGN: CAD news, articles, tutorials, and more.
- Convert PDF to AutoCAD: This useful tool offers free PDF to DWG and DXF conversion for AutoCAD-designed PDFs.
- Download CAD Drawings: Subscribe to access this huge database of downloadable CAD symbols, drawings, and details.
- oDesk:oDesk is a great website where you can find CAD jobs if you’re looking for work or you can outsource work for freelancers, CAD designers, programmers, and others. Hire a virtual assistant and make life easier by lessening your own workload.
- Job Board:Visit our job board at scripting4v5.com to find CATIA design or CAD engineering related positions near you. Read about my Career Advice.
CATIA, Programming, and other Books
For more information on CATIA, VB Programming, or Microsoft Excel, I recommend checking out these resources from Amazon.com:
- CATIA V5 R20 for Designers: An extremely detailed and helpful book, not just for beginners but intermediate and advanced 3D modelers and engineers as well.
- Excel 2010 Bible by John Walkenbach:This is by far the best Excel book I have ever found for anyone who uses Microsoft Excel spreadsheets on a daily basis.
- Introduction to CATIA V5 R19 (A hands-on Tutorial Approach): The tutorials seem to touch on every single icon that is available in CATIA and includes step-by-step tutorials with nice graphics.
- Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Step by Step by Michael Halvorson:A lot of hands-on work-by-examples will further the development of your Visual Basic programming skills.
- CATIA V5 Macro Programming with Visual Basic Script by Dieter Ziethen (April 2013): How to create your own macros that automate repetitive tasks, accelerate design procedures, and automatically generate complex geometries. Why am I listing a competitor’s product? Read my review and thoughts here.
- How to Program with Java by Trevor Page: One way I believe you can learn more about writing VBA macros is to actually learn how to program in another language, such as Java.
- Error Trapping with Visual Basic for Applications: Complete list of error codes when using the Err function.
- Excel Spreadsheets Help: Need help with Excel spreadsheets? Excel Spreadsheets Help has some of the best FREE Excel templates, especially for project management applications. Learn some useful macros by joining their email newsletter.
- JustCloud: Backup and protect your computer files online in the cloud and access them from anywhere, at any time, from any device. I work on multiple computers and JustCloud makes it easy to work on the same files from many different locations.
- Microsoft Excel Object Model: Microsoft’s MSDN online library is the best place for finding out information about the Microsoft Office object model for VBA.
- VBScript Functions: A comprehensive list and description of VBScript functions you can use in your CATIA macros.
- The Martian by Andy Weir. One of the best books I’ve read in a long time! It’s about an astronaut (with a great sense of humor) who gets left behind on a mission to Mars and has to figure out how to survive. If you’re interested in space exploration, problem solving, engineering, chemistry, botany, or disco + 70s TV shows, I highly recommend you read The Martian
- Aweber: The internet’s most powerful email opt-in service and email marketing and broadcasting tool. This is what I use to build and send my free email newsletters.
- HostGator:Website hosting with easy to use, one-click automatic WordPress installation, and excellent customer service. I highly recommend Host Gator for your first website. Read my top ten reasons for building your own website.
- Namecheap: Very affordable site to quickly and easily register your perfect domain name. I registered scripting4v5.com here.
Disclosure: Thanks for reading about my CATIA V5 tools and resources. Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links (at no extra cost to you). These are all things that I have experience with that I am recommending because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products. Please do not spend money unless you feel it’s for something you really need and will help you reach your goals.
Thank you so much for your support.